Preparation is the key to efficiency. Having an appropriate selection of tools and necessary supplies on hand will make a precision shaft alignment fast, accurate and easy. One way to do this is to have a dedicated alignment cart or job/work box. Some facilities are not conducive to the little casters on some carts, so you will have to choose what works for your situation. Grainger has a great (actually ridiculous) selection of carts, dollies and job boxes.
The cart or job box needs to be filled with the tools typically used for alignments, different size shims (A, B, C, D) & a good supply of each, appropriate variety of bolts & washers, and cleaning supplies are necessary. Among other things.
Here is a partial list of things that I would consider keeping in a cart to speed up alignments.
- The Laser Alignment tool!
- Extra batteries or an extension cord for your alignment tool
- Flashlight or headlight
- Scotch brite pads and rags
- Brake cleaner and compressed air
- Scraper and a file or stone
- 1 large and 1 small pry bar
- Shim selections and a caliper to measure shims
- Heavy gauge washers of various sizes
- A lock out box and forms
- Appropriate sized Torque wrenches and crow’s feet
Check out our Alignment Blog posts for additional tool ideas.
VibrAlign has recently open an online to store to help you to get some of the essential tools and parts that you may need or want to add to help make the precision shaft alignment process better and more efficient.
So, if you are wanting to set up a alignment cart or job box to be more efficient, this would be a place to look for the latest and greatest stuff. Feel free to call us to bounce off ideas or get input. We are always here to help.