October 27, 2013
Troubleshooting Guide for Basic Alignment
By Billy Stanley
When using a Fixturlaser Alignment System and you are not able to get it aligned in three tries here are a few things to look for.
- Ensure that you start with a clean base and have checked for soft foot.
- Do not use more than 4 shims under the machine feet.
- Check for run out on the shafts and coupling.
- Ensure that you have the proper key length & put them 180 deg. apart ( = ).
- Use the proper procedure for tightening bolts. ( X )
- Try and use new bolts (bolt stretch can cause an issue).
- Ensure that your sensors are installed properly and not cocked at an angle. ( / )
- If there is a lot of residual vibration in the area then you might want to switch your machine from EXPRESS measuring method to TRIPOINT for better results.
- Always double-check your measurement before you install it in the machine.
These are a few things that I have run into in the field so I hope this will help you.
I perform Reliability Centered Maintenance work at the mill and since we started precision laser alignment, I have seen the work orders, that I write, go from replacing Pumps & Motors. To replacing coupling elements for normal wear. So keep Realigning America moving forward.
About the author:
Billy Stanley is a Reliability Technician for a Wood Products Plant in Georgia.
Bill…great post, thank you very much for sharing!